Pre congress - Architectural tour
The second pre-congress tour will be designed for all art critics interested in architectural monuments and ancient history. The easily accessible bus-tour will last 2 days and will include most of the important monuments of East Slovakia.
Trip around east Slovakian architectural heritage began in Košice.
Spišský Štvrtok- St. Ladislaus Church – Zapolsky´s Chapel
Spiš castle- the largest castle in the central Europe, UNESCO WorldHeritage.
Levoča– Gothic church of St. Jacob, UNESCO WorldHeritage.
Poprad – Church of sv Egidius, High Tatras Gallery
St. Ladislaus Church – Zapolsky´s Chapel
St. Ladislaus Church is Catholic, Gothic abbey church with Romanesque elements of 13th century. In 1473 was added in Zapolsky ´s chapel, in the concept of the royal funeral chapel Sainte Chapelle in Paris. The image of the Virgin Mary on the Gothic altar was created around 1450 by Norimberg painter from the range of school of Albrecht Durer.
Spišský Castle is the largest castle in the central Europe with a strategic location, providing clear visibility to the distance of the High Tatras. The complex of Castle ruins, which construction began at the turn of the 11th and 12 century, consists of a stone fortification system from the early 13th Century, a Roman palace, a residential tower and large lower courtyard from the mid-15th century.
Levoča is a historic city with a medieval character and well-preserved system of defensive walls. In the old square city center are situated the Gothic church of St. Jacob with the 18 meters tall main Gothic altar from the 16th century, created by student of Veit Stoss of Krakow and Norimberg; along with the Renaissance Hall and townhouses from the 14th-15th century.
Primarily Gothic Catholic Church of St. Egidius in the center of old city square is from the 13th century with baroque reconstruction and with richly frescoes decorated interior from the 15 century. The Renaissance bell tower, standing next to the church was built in 1658 has a roof line ended with a Renaissance gable attic. High Tatra´s Gallery was founded in 1960 and from 1992 is situated in the former power station from 1908 build by Siemens Company. This is the first gallery space in Slovakia using for exhibition purposes the former industrial building.
Trip around east Slovakian architectural heritage
Hervartov- wooden church of St. Francis of Assisi, UNESCO WorldHeritage.
Bardejov- Gothic and a Renaissance city with well-preserved system of defensive walls,UNESCO WorldHeritage.
Medzilaborce– Town with world first museum dedicated to Andy Warhol
Hervartov – church of St. Francis of Assis
Catholic wooden church of St. Francis of Assisi from the late 15th century, has the Gothic character and a split floor plan with a high steep slope roof. Differs significantly from the Ruthenian-Ukrainian wooden churches in northeastern Slovakia.
Bardejov is a Gothic and a Renaissance city with well-preserved system of defensive walls. Two dominants of the old square city center are Gothic Church of Sv. Egidius, with a unique set of eleven Gothic wing altars from 1440 – 1520; and the Renaissance Town hall, from 1505, with a window lining in style of a Florence Renaissance.
The city of Medzilaborce is an administrative and cultural centre of the Laborec Region and it is home of the world first museum dedicated to Andy Warhol (Andy Warhol Museum of Modern Art, opened in 1991), which contains many artworks and effects of Andy Warhol and of his brother Paul and nephew James Warhola. Warhol's parents come from the village of Miková, 17 km to the west from the Medzilaborce.
Spišský Štvrtok - church of St. Ladislav
Levoča- Town hall and church of St. Jacob
Poprad - church of St. Egidius
Hervatov - church of St. Francis of Assisi
Bardejov- Town hall and church of St. Egidius
Medzilaborce- Andy Warhol Museum of Modern Art